How to Properly Apply A Facial Mask
Posted on June 01 2020
If it seems like everyone is doing facial masks these days, that’s because they are. You can hardly open a social feed or have a commercial break without seeing an image of someone’s face covered in clay. If you’re ready to join the party, or just want to make sure that you’re doing it right, you’ve come to the right place.
How often should you do a face mask?Most estheticians will tell you that face masks are an excellent part of a good face care routine, but they aren’t a mandatory one. Face masks can be seen as extra credit for your skin. So, cleansing your face with a mask can be done once or twice per week. And, it’s important that your masking follows a cleansing.
TL;DR - 1 or 2 times per week
Why should I do a face mask?
You probably already have your regular facial skin care routine you do every morning and every night, and that routine might take a total of 5 minutes. That doesn’t give the ingredients much time to work. Face masks, with concentrated formulas, sit on your face for a much longer time and penetrate your skin much more thoroughly than daily lotions do.
TL;DR - lets skin soak in the benefits of stronger ingredients
What are the benefits of a face mask?
There are so many great things about doing a facial mask that it’s hard to limit it to one answer! So, we’re just going to list the benefits for you.
- Increases microcirculation
- Fights acne
- Hydrates and moisturizes
- Reduces redness
- Shrinks pores
- Tightens skin
- Fights fine lines and wrinkles
- Absorbs oils and dirt
- Brightens dark spots
How do I apply a face mask?
That’s the million dollar question (or, in our case $19.99)! Here is a step-by-step guide to giving your face that extra love it deserves.
Step 1: Cleanse your face
- Start off with a clean face to allow the concentrated ingredients to go deeper into your skin and be more effective.
Step 2: Cover your face
- With your fingertips or a makeup brush, apply a thin layer of the clay mask to your face, taking special care to avoid getting it in your eyes. You can even apply it to your upper chest area if you’re planning on wearing a top that shows some skin.
Step 3: Relax
- This is probably the best part. Sit down, relax, sip on some wine or scroll your social feeds. Allow the clay to sit on your face until it hardens and changes colors. Once that happens, you’re ready for Step 4.
Step 4: Rinse
- With cold or lukewarm water (no soap!), dampen a washcloth and use it to gently remove the clay from your beautiful face. Scrubbing too hard can undo the benefits of the mask.
Step 5: Moisturize
- We can’t stress enough how important it is to keep your skin hydrated. And, after going through such a deep cleansing, your face will LOVE the feeling of a moisturizer all over.